Ensuring the long-term sustainability of the multidisciplinary services is key if they are to impact on the working day of key stakeholders and end-users such as scientists and policy makers.
These stakeholders need to know that EPOS services are here to stay. A main goal of EPOS is therefore to ensure that EPOS services are maintained and sustained in the long-term. Careful financial management and organisation is required for this, especially as the EPOS ERIC will not cover all the services in the beginning.
The objective of the financial plan is to secure the necessary funding to construct and maintain the legal entity and to provide a financial outlook for the whole enterprise due to the fact that the ERIC will not include all the services at its beginnings. To this end, the EPOS financial organization is defined as:
Not for profit: to secure the scientific and public goals;
- Inclusive: to encourage the participation of new partners and communities without damaging the existing organizations;
- Pro-active: to encourage the members to support EPOS and feel part of a community;
- Fair: to take into consideration the national situations (their necessities and possibilities);
- Adaptive: to provide a framework which is a tool that can be re-balanced and adapted upon request to easily include new partners, new communities and therefore new services;
- Simple: to allow fast and easy use and comprehension for the EPOS staff, the regular members, the observers and for all interest stakeholders based on a no-profit principle.
The EPOS funding model is designed reflecting that National Governments will maintain the financial support to existing research infrastructures (NRIs) and will confirm the financial support for the subscription fees and for national contributions to existing TCS. The TCS implementation will be mainly supported through EC funding: the EPOS Implementation Phase project represents an important funding source, but other projects such as the I3s, the supersite and thematic EU projects will be integrated to sustain a holistic TCS implementation plan.