The EPOS and ORFEUS European Research Initiatives are sponsoring a European OBS and MSP coordination workshop on October 27-28, 2016 in Dubrovnik, Croatia. This meeting, held concurrently with the EPOS Mobile Pools workshop, will focus on ways to make OBSs and their data more available to the general scientific community and to to support ambitious geoscience research using the large number of OBSs available in Europe. The meeting falls at the end of the annual ORFEUS Observatory coordination meeting (http://orfeus-workshop.gfz.hr/index.htm). All scientists interested in using OBSs (including those for whom a few marine stations would greatly improve a land network) should attend this meeting so that we can decide on the best ways to make these instruments and data as accessible and useful as possible.
There is no meeting registration fee and a special hotel rate has been arranged by ORFEUS.
The registration deadline is closed on September 15th, 2016 at http://orfeus-workshop.gfz.hr/regis.htm.
The OBS meeting will be divided into 3 half-day sessions:
Thursday afternoon, Oct 27: Joint session with EPOS mobile pools
- Introduction to European and Mobile Seismometer Pools: overview, ambitions and current progress
- Joint discussion of ways to advance and integrate OBSs and Mobile Pools
Friday morning, Oct 28: Individual OBS session
- Introduction to OBS-specific challenges
- Existing and recent cross-country collaborations
- Presentations on different countries’ pools and developments
- New developments
- Proposal for OBS-specific data and metadata formats
- General discussion and formulation of pathway for improvements in instrument sharing and data distribution
Friday afternoon: Joint session with EPOS mobile pools
- Presentation of the results of the individual sessions
- Preliminary report on the outcome and recommendations