The conference Cities on Volcanoes 10 (COV 10) will take place in Naples between from the 2nd to the 7th of September 2018; actually twenty years after the first COV held in 1998 in Naples too.
The choice of “Millennia of Stratification between Human Life and Volcanoes: strategies for coexistence” as COV 10 title aims at focusing the objectives of the conference on the inherent resilience of human societies to volcanic risk. Millennia of coexistence with volcanoes have proven, in fact, that volcanic environments are fundamentally perceived as resources. Indeed, building and strengthening this resilience in modern and complex societies exposed to volcanic risk is a great challenge, especially when such a risk involves volcanic system with long periods of dormancy, and thus risk is poorly perceived.
In the frame of the event, the EPOS volcanology community (EPOS TCS Volcano Observations) will contribute by sponsoring/co-sponsoring three sessions:
- S1.19 | Integrated research infrastructures and services in volcanology
- S1.37 |The role of the GEO-GSNL initiative in improving the knowledge of volcano dynamics and hazard. (sponsored by EPOS and GEO-GSNL)
- S2.8 | Coordination of Civil Protection and Scientific community: best practices to support the management of volcanic crises and the long-term risk mitigation plans.
In addition, in order to discuss one of the EPOS proper themes, EPOS will organise a workshop on September the 2nd 2018:
- W.4 | The EPOS long-term plan for the integration of the European research infrastructures: a new horizon for open science in volcanology, (coveners: G. Puglisi INGV Italy; L.Spampinato INGV Italy M.Cocco INGV Italy; C.Freda INGV Italy; R. Nave INGV Italy).
The EPOS workshop includes invited talks and a round table to discuss and share experiences on the role of research infrastructures in volcanology.
Deadline for abstract submission and workshop participation has been extended until the 18th May 2018, 8:00 PM Italian time (UTC +2:00).
Conference details can be found at the CoV10 website.
- • May 10 2018: Deadline for abstract submission and workshop participation.
- • June 15 2018: Deadline for early bird registration, Deadline for workshop registration, Deadline for field trip registration
- • July 1 2018: Final Programme publication