The Induced Seismicity-European Plate Observing System (IS-EPOS) platform provides a digital research space (see - https://tcs.ah-epos.eu/) combining faciliti
EPOS Thematic Core Service Anthropogenic Hazards aims to provide an environment and facilities for conducting research into anthropogenic hazards, especially related to the exploration and exploitation of geo-resources.
EPOS Thematic Core Service Anthropogenic Hazards (TCS AH) aims to integrate distributed research infrastructures to facilitate and stimulate research in the area of anthropogenic hazards (AH), especially those associated with the exploration and exploitation of geo-resources.
The innovation of TCS AH is drawing on the uniqueness of the integrated research infrastructures:
- exceptional data, called “episodes”, comprehensively describing a geophysical process, induced or triggered by human technological activity, which under certain circumstances can become hazardous for people, infrastructure and the environment,
- problem-oriented, specific applications with the particular attention devoted to methods analysing connections between technology and geophysical response and resulted hazard,
- flexible computational platform with an access to High Performance Computing resources, where a researcher can process the integrated data using the implemented applications.
From the architecture point of view TCS AH is built of three major components:
- TCS AH Consortium, managing the integration of research infrastructures in the field of geophysical anthropogenic hazards associated with exploitation of georesources an cooperating with EPOS-ERIC;
- AH e-Nodes which gather episodes with their multidisciplinary data, manage them and provide access to AH data;
- IS-EPOS platform which provide access to the episodes’ data, software, applications and computational resources for advanced analysis and visualization.
Episodes are related to a wide spectrum of inducing technologies. They consist of a time-correlated encapsulated collection of geophysical data representing the geophysical process, technological data representing the technological activity, which is the cause of this process and all other relevant geo-data describing the environment, in which the technological activity and its result or by-product, the geophysical process take place.
Episodes are enriched by dedicated applications, uniquely designed for the analysis of correlations between technology, geophysical response and resulting hazard. The quality of software services is confirmed and referenced in research literature. Bind together episodes and bespoke services within an IT environment enable for easy access to the episodes’ data, analysis via integrated software and advanced visualization of data and their products.
Within EPOS IP project TCS AH aims to integrate at least 20 AH episodes, connected with conventional and unconventional hydrocarbon extraction, reservoir treatment, underground mining and geothermal energy production, which are provided by following services:
- e-Node of EOST in France and
- e-Node of IGF PAS in Poland.
List of AH Episodes available on the IS EPOS Platform
Problem-oriented, bespoke applications are uniquely designed for the discrimination and analysis of correlations between technology, geophysical response and resulting hazard.
They comprise blocks of apps dedicated to episodes analyses such as Multi-hazard Simulator for Multi-hazard/Multi-risk Assessment in exploration and exploitation of geo-resources, apps to rate interaction between technology operations and seismic deformations, apps for geophysical data analyses, apps for quantitative probabilistic assessments of anthropogenic seismic hazards and apps for outreach, dissemination and communication. All applications are integrated with IS-EPOS computational platform.
Computational platform with user workspace and dedicated collaborative functionalities - IS-EPOS platform service provides computational resources allowing:
- AH user's’ designed problem tailored processing based on implemented specialized software library and own software as well own IT resources,
- computationally demanding AH analysis by access to High Performance Computing Resources,
- AH users’ data, data products and results of analysis handling and storage in the AH user's’ workspace area, and
- visualisation of all types of AH data, data products and results of analysis.
Examples of applications:
Visualizations - Services for basic visualization 1D & 2D (plots, distribution, histograms) for diverse types of data
Time-dependent seismic hazard
Geophysical signal services
MT inversion input
MT inversion output
IS EPOS Platform is one complex multiservice with the virtual access to episodes collected in local data centers. IS EPOS Platform provides access to software dealing with specific problems, designed in the area of anthopogenic hazards. The Platform has been enriched by the inter community social functions, e.g. calls for projects, common workspace for the project shared by the project members, upload/download data and codes to the common workspace, tools for communication of project members. The prototype of the Platform has been already built within the frame of project “IS-EPOS: Digital Research Space for EPOS Purposes”, financed by the European Regional Development Fund as part of the Operational Programme Innovative Economy. Platform is being developed to the TCS Anthropogenic Hazards’ target during the implementation phase of EPOS.
The TCS AH gateway was designed with User experience principles in mind, and involving thorough utility testing. The users have the possibility to proceed to either episode-oriented research (application of various methodologies focusing on a particular episode), or method-oriented research (perform a certain methodology at several datasets in order to compare results with each other). The available applications were grouped into 5 categories:
- Resources Management Apps
- Data Handling Apps
- Data processing Apps
- Visualization Apps
- Document Repository Apps.